[WMASTERS] UNICODE 2.0 - How Hard & Fast Is It?

Dear Tamil lovers of all kinds,

This is Jochen Leidner's response to my message on how hard and fast
UNICODE 2.0 is, what the expertise of the contributors of the Tamil
language components to it were, and whether it can be amended to reflect a
consensus of Tamilians that's about to be available now.

It appears to me that there was very little Tamil expertise that went into
UNICODE 2.0. This is not a great state of affairs, but it is by no means
fatal.

What this suggests to me is that we can submit the consensus we reach here
to the UNICODE consortium *and* our submission will have very strong
weight. A weak standard simply does not get implemented (remember software
makers do not typically implement all of UNICODE, only parts of it that's
in line with their commercial aspirations) or fails during implementation.

In short, let's take it as our target to come up with a consensus that will
have more weight than any other extant Tamil computing standards in
influencing the various standards bodies.

cheers../bala
bala@tamil.net