Re: [WMASTERS] UNICODE 2.0 - How Hard & Fast Is It?

Dear Bala,

I've one Basic comment on Unicode.

First of all its approach is not really right(atleast about indic
languages).
It hides behind a Government Standard. So, whats the point in looking at
Unicode. We might as well try to influence the ISCII.

Next, a language standard should be specific to a language. It should
not
be generalized under some "one" umbrella. Its as bad as reforming the
language in the name of standardization.(Note: I've my own reservations
on "whether removing Ksha is a reform or not":-))

Going by that, when we standardize a language, we should, in addition to
its scripts, look at its grammar. When a language has a sound grammar
for its letters (I mean ezuththilakkaNam) it should be OBEYED by the
standard.

That way, our grammar says:

    "mey"+"uyir"=uyir mey.

This strongly dictates the way we should represent our basic character
set.

So, I dont see any reason why Unicode has one set of "akaram ERiya uyir
mey"
characters in it.

We should just have,

   "mey" - 18+4, "uyir" - 12, aaytham - 1, Numbers-12.

Regarding target that you have mentioned, I think first we should make
clear, whether we are developing a "Futuristic Standard" (which is
nothing but the "mey"+"uyir" standard that is independent input/output)
or something useful now!!!! Lets not go in cycles!!!!

anbudan,
nagu.