[WMASTERS] Apology for strident tone!

Sorry, Hal and Selvaa -- I didn't want to be personal or strident, just to
make a point.

Selvaa: I just read your latest posting, and I agree wholeheartedly.  One
note: there is an ancient verion of the Mahabharata by Peruntevanar, the
same person who wrote the kaTavuL Vaazttu to the Purananuru -- it must have
been a wonderful work.  We have only a few miniscule sections quoted by
grammarians.  Ditto the TakaTuur Yaattirai and the Aaciririya maalai, which
are apparently from Sangam times.  One of the more unfortunate aspects of
the "Sanskrit paittiyam" which denigrated other traditions is that great
efforts were made to collect Sanskrit manuscripts by both Indians and
Westerners, while few such efforts were made for other Indian languages,
most notably the richest, Tamil.  (Swaminathaier is the first I know of to
have made a systematic effort for Tamil).

The result is that we have lost many treasures.  One can only hope some of
them are still extant and may be found.  George.