Sri Lankan Tamil

There have been a few questions about Tamil used in Sri Lanka.  I am
looking at "Ulakattamizar," the paper published by Sri Lankan Tamils in
Canada.

1. The new orthography is used throughout.
2. Grantha is used very sparingly, but is not entirely avoided.  It is
essential for transliterating names.  I find a poem with the words
"jananam" and "ejamanan."  These are two very expressive words, and have
entered into the core of Tamil -- there are no other words with the same
connotation available to the language.  (No, piRavi doesn't equal jananam).

George Hart

Home | Main Index | Thread Index