[WMASTERS] total Tamil Internet solution

George Hart wrote:

> This week's sponsors -The Asia Pacific Internet Company (APIC)
>   @  Nothing Less Than A Tamil Digital Renaissance Now   @
> <http://www.apic.net> Click now<mailto:info@apic.net> for instant info
>
> Enough of inferiority complexes, social transformations, etc. etc.  Let's
> settle on a standard so we can all use it.  My suggestion: I see nothing
> whatsoever wrong with Inaimathi as an interim standard until Unicode is
> universally adopted (2 or 3 years?)

Dear George
 you have all the right to suggest Inaimathi font to be the interim
standard. I only found emotional attachment in your suggestion. As an
academic we should go for facts. from  your mail, I understood that you
are not well informed of the facts that is surrounding the  Technology
which made Total Tamil Internet Solution possible on Internet. These are
the facts:
1.  TamilNet Font encoding, from Singapore is the technology that made
Total Tamil Internet solution possible, when it was officially launched
in Singapore on 2 Feb 1996. (http://irdu.nus.sg/tamilweb)
2.  Prior to the official launch, the prototype  of the TamilNet font
was made public on Internet, when  H.E. Mr Ong Teng
 Cheong, President, Republic of Singapore,   launched
   PoemWeb,  (http://irdu.nus.sg/poem)  on 27 October 1995.

3.  TamilNet font from Singapore is the encoding that made the Total
Internet solution possible for the Tamil Language. ( George, for your
info, Inaimathi font came to Internet only in May 1996, that is three
months after TamilNet encoding was made public on internet!)

 When I collaborated with Internet Research and Development Unit of NUS,
to do Internet Research on Tamil Language, we aimed at the Total
Internet solution. That is :
1.  the technology should work in the three platforms(PC,Mac and Unix)
2. the technology should be e-mailable  and
3. searchable.

 we achieved all these when Tamilweb was officially launched on 2 Feb
1996.

 Inaimathi came to internet 3 months later. (may 1996 -
http://www.murasu.com/anjal.htm). Searchable  was only made possible,
two weeks before the TamilNet97 conference. (I pointed this in one of
the paper presentation session.)

On Unicode:
 George , in Singapore , we have already implemented Unicode pages in
Tamil. in six months time , the whole Sangam Literature will be
available in the Unicode.
 Visit our Unicode page for more details.(
http://www.irdu.nus.sg/tamilweb/sangam/tamil_unicode.html) we are also
in the process of developing some tools for Tamil Unicode. wait for our
announcement.

  I note that Apple's new file system
> will be Unicode compliant and even has a language number for Tamil (14).
>
> So here's what I'd like to hear:
>
> Are there any reasons why Inaimathi is seriously flawed?  Exactly what
> flaws can be fixed by a new standard?  No long rambling discourses, please;
> succinct, clear answers.
>
> We need to stop worrying about glyphs, spelling systems, philosophy, caste,
> etc. etc., and do something we can actually accomplish.  So how about it?
> I'd like to set a deadline of ONE WEEK for a final system.  We can vote for
> it -- anyone who has contributed a few thoughts on this forum is eligible
> to vote.  Myself, I'll vote for anything that works!  And I suggest the
> Inaimathi coding because there's already a large body of stuff in it.
George, you are wrong. Mylai and TamilNet font encodings have large
amount of stuff. Visit http://www.kanian.com/Tamilnews
 to know what kind of materials available on TamilNet encodings.
 Whole Kambaramayanam  will be available in TamilNet & Unicode
encoding, in a year time from Singapore.
anbudan
Naa Govindasamy

  G.