Re: [WMASTERS] charset and grantha

Dear Selvakumar, Mani, Kathiravan Dr.Kalyan and others,

My comments on the contents of your webpage:

  1. "aq" + a = ha is an excellent idea. It comes very naturally
     Thats very important. Though lot of suggestions sound very
     logical, it should look very simple and natural for the
     people to adopt it. I think aq+a=ha can be successfully
     implemented.

  2. For other letters (sa, sha, and ja), I dont find them so
     natural as "aq"+a=ha. But I really appreciate the idea
     behind that. Yes you have used those letters that pulls
     tongue inside and converts the sound of "ca" to sa, sha
     and ja. But it is still a kind of technique. I doubt if
     people will take it. You can notice that this technique
     works very naturally in the case of aq+a=ha.

  3. Also, usage of z and nj will become ambiguous.

  4. Same point applies to G, D and B sounds.

  5. For F sound, as you said we can use aq+v=f technique.

  6. Regarding aq+p, I think its actually used in the place
     of "ph" sound not in the "f" sound.

     Eg. pharmacy is written as aq pa r ma ci

One more point I want to add (which you have mentioned in you web
page) is:
   **We have grammar** to support these sounds in majority of the
   cases. In the name of finding new letters/letter combinations
   we should make these rules ambiguous and we should leave these
   rules behind. If we do that, I dont know what will be there to
   say that it is Tamil.

Regarding your encoding again:
    I just want to warn(please do not think that I am discouraging you
    and its not used in a harsh way) any of the effort of this kind
    that We should always have the simplicity of Tamil in mind. Touching
    the script (particularly adding something to it based on the sound)
    should be avoided as much as possible. We should not just think
about
    the sounds that have come into Tamil in these recent(say 100/200)
years
    and add a letter to the script. If that is the rate a script gets
    modified (particularly addtions based on new sounds!), We'll not
have
    Tamil after 1000 years.

anbudan,
nagu.
PS: I do not know anything about linguistics. But somehow I love Tamil
    in all of its present form(except for some difficulties that we
    face in ukara uukaara varisai).