Re: [WMASTERS] Re: Old Orthography, response to Kalyan

Dear Bala,

Unicode has the concept of ligatures. It says those old codes optionally
**ligate** in old styles.

So, Unicode did not leave old style **forms**. Because its a way of
rendering
the letters. Unicode just bothers about encoding characters not the
glyphs.

But the table we have is a collection of Glyphs (though we might try to
keep as much **characters** as possible). Yes. We need them. Only if we
are particular about showing them in Old Style.

But if we keep separate codes for those old forms it will unnecessarily
confuse the text processing(any application that tries to make sense out
of the text!) applications.

What anybody will lose if you show "a,nnn,nnnaa" as "a,nnn,nnna,kaal".
Do
they get any other meaning out of it???

The text is Old in its content not in its Letters.

NOTE: I Did Not say anything about Tamil Numerals. Will write about it
latter.

anbudan,
nagu.