Re: [WMASTERS] vikramAthithanum vEthALamum

In a message dated 97-10-05 17:37:03 EDT, pvmurugan@usa.net write:

<< I beg to differ here. At first, any new idea will seem to be far from
 reality. But in reality, they are not. Take the case of New aikAra
 letters(in stead of ORNL's). How many people are exposed to the new scheme?
 Had not the old letters well established? How the transition has been made
 possible? I'm not talking about long long ago. It happened nearly 20 years
 ago. And the new letters have been accepted and become standard.

 I'm not telling that we should ignore Grantha letters. But we should think
 of other possibilities also. Discarding something new only because it's more
 different from the old or there'll be lot of practical problems implementing
 that, will do no help for us.

 That is the exact worry of people like Dr.Anu. We may disagree with them.
 But we should give respect to the sentiments of them. If we don't use
 anything, eventually it will become useless.

 My point is,we should have to be open minded to new things.

Dear Velmurugan,

First of all if any of you sense any disrespect in my tone, my apologies.
Let me make my point clear. We are not doing any comercial/profitable
business here. We are trying to set some standard which will be used by
millions of people mainly in Tamilnadu, Sri Lanka and whereever they teach
in Tamil medium.

The moment I saw Dr.Selva's new proposal (ofcourse I know it is only a
proposal, not a final document) I couldn't go any further but thinking about
the new proposal. This proposal is not just for the computer but it also
changes the Tamil. Mr. Velmurugan, you and me are sitting here in America
and using Tamil only to surf the net and to kill some time (may be more)
But the same Tamil is used in business, life, day-to-day activities by a lot
of
people in Tamil Nadu.

What do we really achieve by giving a different character or combination of
existing characters to replace a grantha character? This is nothing but HATE.
We don't LOVE Tamil. We HATE grantha characters. We should think it in a
different way. See how grantha characters helped to pronounce/write lot of
foreign (English) words till today. LOVE them for that. I don't really know
why we
HATE grantha characters. Let us teach the new generation how to LOVE and not
how to HATE.

Shanmugavel Ponnaiah,
New Jersey.