Re: [WMASTERS] Can we please develop a standard?

	Dear george,

	I agree with yoy on everything you said about Kalidasa and about
	Ramayanam and Mahabhratham.  As you may be aware that other than
	Ramayanam, tamil literature always kept its identity which is
	different from Sanskrit.

	The culture itself is very different.  The political strategy/system
	is also very different.  If one reads thirukkural, manu neethi
	and arthsastra would realize how different they are.

	But, it all depends on who lokks at what and how.  If one looks
	for similarity that's what he would find.  If he looks for
	difference that's what he would find.

	May be we two are different in looking at sanskrit and tamil
	literature.  There was a flame war on Kamaba Ramayanam has to
	be burned or not.  It was no less person than the former
	chief minister of tamilnadu and father of dravidian political
	parties Mr. Annadurai who argued that Kamba Ramayanam has to burnt.
	His main argument was an ordinary human being as written by Valmeehi
	was glorified into a god by Kamban and in doing so he picturised
	aa fellow tamilan, Ravanan as Sathaan.

	In 1997 or in 2000, grantha is not going to be part of tamil
	George.  I am sorry to say that.  You may mix them.

	But they won't get mixed up as tamils will reject it.

	It is unfortunate many forget that it is in tamil nadu
	that many people self immolated them to defend tamil.  We did not
	see this type of activities any where in India including Bengal,
	who also love their language.  This will tell us how emotionally
	attached tamilnadu tamils are.

	I wish their emotional attachment should be given due respect.

	Also addition of few grantha scripts will not help in any way
	other than writing a few people's name in the way they wish to
	write.  I could have accepted Suriya NarAyanan as it can be
	written using tamil scripts.  But he changed it into
	Parithimal Kalainjar.  It did not happen in Singapore, Malaysia
	and Srilanka.  But it happened in tamil nadu.  If we are
	going to standardise something that will be used in tamil nadu
	then it should not have grantha scripts.

	What Selva suggested is something that some of the tamils may
	accept.  That is similar to my ideas.  Again it is not individuals
	ideas that is going to be taken into account by tamil nadu tamils.
	They love their language the way it is now.  That is without
	grantha sounds and scripts.

 	With reagards to every one,

	Anu