[WMASTERS] re:[tamil.net] charset and grantha

In message "[tamil.net] charset and grantha", selvakum@valluvar.uwaterloo.ca writes:

> This week's sponsors -The Asia Pacific Internet Company (APIC)
> Premium Mind Mobility (aka Internet) Services to anybody anywhere
> <http://www.apic.net> Click now<mailto:info@apic.net> for instant info
>

> I've forgotten to add the details of a second
> webpage. It is as follows
>
>       http://valluvar.uwaterloo.ca/~selvakum/newtamil.html
>
> The webpage where the new character codes are defined is
> at the URL
>
>        http://valluvar.uwaterloo.ca/~selvakum/charset.gif
>
> The above character codes table may not make much sense
> if you don't read the newtamil.html document. I've chosen
> to layout as I did because of certain considerations
> (the ukaaram series and the Ukaaram series are to be
> continuous and there should be mathematical correspondence
> between the meyyezuththukkaL).
>
> Sorry I forgot to add these URLs in my previous mail
> sent a few minutes ago.
>
> anbudan selvaa
> Septmber 21, 1997

Dear Selva!

   vaNakkam! Great Effort.

   I browsed through your web page. I see
   how you conserve charc. and cover Grantha
   sounds. As you said Sri is simply  used as siRi
   even by the bhkathi saints. Why is there  a need
   for extra special fonts. There should be special
   care in pronouncing names correctly than adding
   extra characters to accomodate non-Tamil names.

    Some grantha proponents would now be convinced
    since you have demonstrated the capability of
    Tamil to accomodate the sounds. Tamil grows as
    we accept ideas (scientific) and not by ornamental
    changes that I regard as extra baggage.

   Regards
   Kathiravan