Re: [WMASTERS] Re: Old Orthography, response to Kalyan

Nagu,

Well said.   You are also right about us encoding *glyphs* with *as much*
characters.  However, I see the following as a *justification* to do so.

1. Ecoding pure characters may *cut-off* hobbyists who develop fonts for
   Tamil without any inclination to writing codes (manipulation routines)

2. Though we encode glyphs *occasionally* we are (I hope) taking steps
   to ensure that, under normal circumstances, it'll not make sense to
   encode the same *letter* with any other combination of characters.
   For example, we have assigned specific glyphs for all mey's (dotted's).
   We are also ensuring (my point at least) that we do not leave the
   'dot' character hanging around to cause ambiguity.  In other words,
   one whould not, even by accident, store 'k' as 'ka' + 'pulli' (since
   'pulli' does not exist as a *character*).

3. Having ensured that (2) is taken care of, people in (1) can freely
   create fonts without messing up the *standard* format of storing
   Tamil etext.

4. (1), (2) & (3) *are* the main reasons why I'm opposing ORNL

5. We *are* thinking of alternate ways of rendering ORNL for those
   who need to view text in that format - though it takes special
   conditions, it's (IMHO) more than worth the trade-off.

Comments ..... ?

anbudan,

~ MUTHU