"Ksha" and "Shri" Was Re: [WMASTERS] Correspondance to Unicode 2.0 (long ! )

Dear Dr. Kalyan,

The equivalent Unicode for Grantha Letters are missing in
your list.

I noticed that "Shri" is missing in Unicode standard (If I
have read it wrong please tell me) itself.

Unlike other letters sa, sha, ha and ja, "Ksha" is **NOT**
given a separate code in Unicode(2.0). It goes on to saying
that "Ksha" is formed using "Ka" + "Pulli Modifier" + "Sha".

So, it is almost like what I suggested (If I have not read
anything wrong!!:-)). But there is one difference.

For eg. to write "Ksho", from what I suggested we will have to
write it as "k, kombu, sha, kaal" but in Unicode says it should
be written as "kombu, ksha, kaal".

So, even unicode did not give a **code** for "Ksha" separately.
But, to satisfy people(I guess :-)) they just made a
**rendering rule** that it should be rendered as if it is a
character by itself.

NOTE: I am dragging Unicode just to support my point. I see
      a Logic in what in my point which is still not ack-ed
      by anybody. My point is: Why should we have an
      unnecessary/redundant letter/sound in Tamil. Also,
      its not a original Tamil letter but borrowed.
      Its very much apparent that, "Ksha" is a result of
      the style of writing combined letters in Tamil.

Anybody???

anbudan,
nagu.

Dr.K. Kalyanasundaram wrote:

> This week's sponsors -The Asia Pacific Internet Company (APIC)
>   @  Nothing Less Than A Tamil Digital Renaissance Now   @
> <http://www.apic.net> Click now<mailto:info@apic.net> for instant info
>
> One of the goals of the present exercise of deciding on possible
> character encoding standards for tamil is to have it in such a way
> that  it is possible to save the tamil text in unicode format.
> The discussion panel at the last  TamilNet'97 Singapore
> conference has emphasised this point so that
> the two standards can happily co-exist and allow smooth
> transitions to exclusive unicode at a later date.
>
> Herein I have attempted to put together a corresondance table for
> such a interconversion 8-bit tamil font <--->Unicode:
> Note:  The code locations indicated herein correspond to the
> present version 1.3. (The exact code location right now is
> not important.  It is a trivial exercise to just change
> the code numbers in this table once we all agree for the final
> version.)
> To avoid confusion, I have used the hex code only for the
> unicode tamil.
>
> For clarity you may want to copy/paste this table into your
> word processor and use a fixed size font such as
> Helvetica/Monaco/Courier/... to view the table.
>
> I would appreciate much if Muthu/Nagu and others have a
> close look at this table and post their comments. I want to
> understand the working of unicode scheme on the way.
>
> Kalyan

> Tamil alphabet             |   8-bit Tamil font      | unicode 2.0
> VOWELS (uyir)              |                         |
> tamil uyir letter a        |     #170                | U-0B85
> tamil uyir letter aa       |     #171                | U-0B86
> tamil uyir letter i        |     #172                | U-0B87
> tamil uyir letter ii       |     #173                | U-0B88
> tamil uyir letter u        |     #175                | U-0B89

Home | Main Index | Thread Index