Re: Indian scripts and Unicode

The Tamilnadu Govt;s standardisation effort is aimed at co ordinating the
efforts at Delhi and arrive quickly at a feasible standard for Keyboard
layout and encoding
We have published a kimd of draft which is under discussion now. It
cosists of three parts and acknowledges all the previous effotrtr Our aim
is to protect the interest of the mainland tamils AND the tamils abroad
/The Iscii 97 std is using  a Sansktit or Devanagari based approach which
may not fit well with Tamil  We are closely looking at it.Right now we are
concentrating only on KB layout Other things will hopefully be sorted out
before Tamilnet 98 scheduled to be held in Chennai next year
Sujatha

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Leong Kok Yong wrote:

> hi
>
> I suppose that's because the ISCII standard was done with all Indian
> languages in mind and did not suit the use of Tamil computing in the real
> world, especially the Web.
>
> Also, i'm not sure what's the follow-up on TamilNadu with the ISCII97
> standard but apparently it did not come to any fruitful conclusion.
> Maybe Sujatha can comment on this part...?
>
> As for Singapore contribution towards Tamil standardization effort, we
> are working closely with TamilNadu committe/govt to get things going. The
> current mailing lists' discussion serves just these purposes. We believe
> such joint efforts together with worldwide support from developers in
> other countries will make this a better success.
>

> On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Jeroen Hellingman wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 08:48:50 +0200
> > From: Jeroen Hellingman <etmjehe@genesis.etm.ericsson.se>
> > To: ccelky@valentine.irdu.nus.sg
> > Subject: Re: Indian scripts and Unicode
> >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Surprising the Tamil Nadu govt. would like to have its own
> > standard, as there is already the ISCII standard, which also
> > covers Tamil---which is complete and perfectly applicatable.
> >
> > Maybe the background is that they want a kind of glyph-encoding
> > standard, including all combinations of letters with vowel signs.
> > A glyph encoding standard would be welcomed, for it is easy for
> > font developers, but in my opinion should not replace a character
> > set, which is easier for all other applications. Another issue
> > might be the addition of a small number of special purpose characters,
> > like I mention in my mailing to the Unicode list, but I cannot see
> > the need for another Tamil character set.
> >
> > I have tried to connect to the site you mention, but I get time-out
> > errors.
> >
> > As Tamil is in use by about 10% of the population of Singapore,
> > what activities are ongoing in Tamil computing, standarisation,
> > etc. in Singapore?
> >
> > You can repost this message on the mailing list you mention.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jeroen.

> > | Jeroen Hellingman                 | private:                    |
> > | Ericsson Telecommunicatie B.V.    | 't Zand 2                   |
> > | Ericssonstraat 2, Rijen, Holland  | 4133 TB Vianen              |
> > | Department ETM/RPU, Room 17107    | The Netherlands             |
> > | Tel: +31 161 242022   (834 2022)  |                             |
> > | Fax: +31 161 249699               | Tel: +31 347 373935         |
> > | E-mail: <etmjehe@etm.ericsson.se> |                             |

Home | Main Index | Thread Index