Re: [WMASTERS] History of Tamil Computing and Tamil on Internet

Dear Kalyan and Sujatha,

Thanks for attempting this.

The reference to my involvement in a TeX font should mention that most of
the work was done by Thomas B. Ridgeway; the font is called WNTAMIL, and
it is currently not supported at U. Washington because of a change of
emphasis in the former Humanities and Arts Computing Center there.  We are
trying to become the support center for it here at Penn, which would
involve making different sizes, changing the shapes of certain fonts, and
so on.  (My own involvement was that I wanted the font, and I consulted
with Ridgeway on shapes and general appearance of the glyphs etc.  That is
why it has provision for (gasp!) ORNL's!)

On Tue, 7 Oct 1997, Dr. K. Kalyanasundaram wrote:

Prof. Harold Schiffman was also one of the early
> pioneers of tamil computing in north america. His tamil font
>  (washingtontamil)  developed while he was still at the Univ.
> of Washington at Seattle forms part of many TeX-based
> word-processors.

H. Schiffman