Re: [WMASTERS] total Tamil Internet solution

Dear Mr. Govindasamy,

I realy realy do not want to get into this discussion - however,
couldn't resist my temptation to clearify one point - for pure
academic reasons :

You posted :

>Anjal and Mylai is also cover with copy right laws.
>This potion is taken from Murasu-Anjal Notes.
>"
>You are allowed  to use this software as is for your personal use.  This
>software is a copyright of CACHE Enterprise Sdn. Bhd. Malaysia.  For
>more information on MURASU Anjal or other MURASU products, point your
>browser to http://www.murasu.com or write to cache@cache.po.my.  MURASU
>Anjal is cardware.  You need to send an email to the author at
>muthu@murasu.com."

I'm sure you understand the difference between an interface and an
implementation !  Any organisation can (and certainly will) protect
their implementation - but no one should really protect an interface.
Take ASCII for example, I need not *seek* permission from any organisation
to *store* my electronic text in ASCII.  But I am in great trouble if
I use/copy/distribute a text editor that has been written and owned
by some one else - though it implements ASCII.

In this respect, I do not think *any* of us have an *open* interface.

Which is why I put in so much for the 'new' encoding that we are *all*
involved in - and I really hope this will *be* a standard where no one
needs to *seek* permission from any party to work on Tamil implementations.

anbudan,

~ MUTHU

---- Begin included message ----

Ravindran K. Paul wrote:

> This week's sponsors -The Asia Pacific Internet Company (APIC)
>   @  Nothing Less Than A Tamil Digital Renaissance Now   @
> <http://www.apic.net> Click now<mailto:info@apic.net> for instant info
>
> >Naa Govindasamy wrote :
> >

> >George Hart wrote:
> >>
> >> Enough of inferiority complexes, social transformations, etc. etc.  Let's
> >> settle on a standard so we can all use it.  My suggestion: I see nothing
> >> whatsoever wrong with Inaimathi as an interim standard until Unicode is
> >> universally adopted (2 or 3 years?)
> >
> >Dear George
> > you have all the right to suggest Inaimathi font to be the interim
> >standard. I only found emotional attachment in your suggestion. As an
> >academic we should go for facts. from  your mail, I understood that you
> >are not well informed of the facts that is surrounding the  Technology
> >which made Total Tamil Internet Solution possible on Internet. These are
> >the facts:
>
> I will add some relevant information that should also be considered.
>
> The TamilNet encoding is totally proprietary to select indviduals
> and was not allowed to be used by local Malaysian and Singapore
> developers despite repeated requests.

Ravi,
you are wrong.
As far as I am concerned, I will give permission to use TamilNet code ,
to any organisation, who are willing to serve Tamil  on Internet.  I
have already given permission to WinMass (http://starglobe.com.sg), a
multi-lingual product Singapore, and to Tango (http://www.alis.com)
another multilingual product from Canada to use TamilNet code free.
Please check with these sites. you can download the WinMass for free.

Even now, this copyright is
> selectively enforced.
>
> So, what is the point of all this development below in the context of
> WMASTERS? How is this going to benefit us now??
Ravi, the above answer is applicable here.

 In contrast,
> Muthu's and Kalyan's fonts, and their technology is readily available to
> everybody to use even now!!

Ravi, are saying that TamilNet technology  is not readily available to
everybody to use even now? if so, you are wrong. TamilNet - Tamilfix
fonts and the keyboard is freely downloadable from Ntaional University
of Singapore and University of Pennsylvania.
(http://irdu.nus.sg/tamilweb/howtoview.html)

Anjal and Mylai is also cover with copy right laws.
This potion is taken from Murasu-Anjal Notes.
"
You are allowed  to use this software as is for your personal use.  This
software is a copyright of CACHE Enterprise Sdn. Bhd. Malaysia.  For
more information on MURASU Anjal or other MURASU products, point your
browser to http://www.murasu.com or write to cache@cache.po.my.  MURASU
Anjal is cardware.  You need to send an email to the author at
muthu@murasu.com."
 This potion is taken from Mylai Home page.
"The mylai tamil font can be obtained FREE OF COST (direct
    download on internet!) for the personal use of individuals and
    non-profit organizations. You can download a copy of the font free
    right from this page if you agree to the following conditions:

    1. Mylai Tamil font and its keymapping are copyright protected and
    their ownership rests with Dr. Kalyanasundaram. Any use of the
    font for purposes other than those listed in this page is
    illegal."

Thanks.
Naa Govindasamy