[WMASTERS] Re: Something I wrote in that context too

Two years ago I wrote an article on why the present day Tamil kids need to
study Tami (with equal enthusiasm and vigor) along with English . Attached
is a portion of that article

Tamil Nadu is perhaps the only place in the
world where the educated parents send their
kids to English medium schools and not
to local language (Tamil) schools. Only the
children from poor families attend Tamil medium
schools. Even the ones who go to Tamil medium
schools have to learn college level courses only
in English. Most of the educated Tamilians don't
converse or write in Tamil. It is unfortunate,
that most of the college educated Tamilians resort
to speaking in English. As a result, newer words are
not coined to express modern thoughts, social issues,
and technological ideas.

If you don't think, read, or write in Tamil how can you contribute to the
development of it. If the educated are uncomfortable with their command of
Tamil language, how can higher and complex thoughts can ever get expressed
in Tamil?

Something for all of us to think about!

Indy Ram