[WMASTERS] Re: Does 8-bit scheme clash with HTML standard?

Dear Mani:

>An example for a practical character subset frustration is ISO 8859-1
>versus Microsoft CP1252 (the Windows character set):
>
>Today, I have already the problem that Web page authers using
>MS-Windows use the CP1252 characters in the 0x80-0x9f range that
>are not part of ISO 8859-1 and therefore are IN THEORY not allowed
>in HTML.  I can't see these characters on my fully HTML conforming
>system, and the Web authors who are unaware of what the proper subset
>of their available character set is inappropriately use frequently
>the characters LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK and RIGHT SINGLE
>QUOTATION MARK (0x91 and 0x92 in CP1252, 0x2019 and 0x201c
>in Unicode) where they really should use just QUOTATION
>MARK (0x22) if the character set announced by HTTP for this
>Web page is ISO 8859-1.

<snipped>
Regarding your post, I have read emails raising this question
(on how to handle characters that are in the 128-159 slots in HTML)
with answers on how the Web authors should handle characters
while using Windows. I do not use Windows-based softwares to
prepare my HTML pages and so cannot check out the proposed
solution. May be someone like Kumar Mallikarjunan or Srinivasan
or Muthu can check out these?

I am copying below one relevant email that answers how the problem
is to be handled. (taken out from the webpage devoted to Latin-1 and
HTML
http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/latin1.html )

Kalyan

----