[WMASTERS] Re: Tamil numerals (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:57:34 +0530
From: Anupam Saurabh <anupam@cdac.ernet.in>
To: ccelky@valentine.irdu.nus.sg
Subject: Re: Tamil numerals

Hi,

Iam from CDAC in India and from my experience in ISCII standardization
(IS13194:1991) and the ISCII-88 on which Unicode-2 has adopted Tamil, I
can say-

Although, these numerals are not used, people on Unicode committees gave
it space so that in future such requirements can be met.
In India the Arabic numerals "0,1,2,3...9" are almost standard
except for publishing where Devanagari variants are sometimes used.
However, for coding same ASCII code is used and not the
alternative code space as mentioned in ISCII. This separate allocation
happened due to insisting by some chauvinists maybe.

Regds
Anupam Saurabh
CDAC, Pune, India